March 26, 2024
Some students have different life ambitions, and graduating early is a great option for some.
Premature diploma
March 26, 2024
A student listens to music with her headphones before class.
Blast from the past
March 26, 2024

Book vs. movie: Dune: Part 2

The movie poster features Chalamet and Zendaya in an embrace.

Are books always better than the movies? Dune came out in October of 2021, and it was nominated for ten Academy Awards and won six of them. While in the making, many fans were getting antsy waiting for the arrival of the sequel. On March 1, the sequel of Dune was released; many fans were ecstatic and bought a ticket to their local movie theater. The movie lived up to the expectations that were set, and fans are ready to find out when the third will arrive. The movie series is based on a book that was written in 1965 by Frank Herbert. It was originally supposed to be two separate series but shifted into one in total. There are six novels, but there are only going to be three movies. There have been over five different adaptations of the books, but the question still remains: are the books better than the movie? 

The movie is set over 20,000 years in the future. The main character is a man named Paul Atrides who travels to different planets in order to save his people and family. In the novel, it’s the same idea, but as for every book that is turned into a movie, there are major differences. For example, they added new people and took old ones out. Usually, people enjoy the book more than the film, but in this case, most fans haven’t even read the books but are in love with the movies. Although many tried to read the books, most still believe the films are better. There have been many recreations of the book series, but the new movies have ultimately been the fan favorite. 

The 1965 Dune novel by Frank Herbert inspired the whole franchise of Dune movies and series.

In Dune: Part Two, Timothée Chalamet plays the main character, Paul Atrides, and he fights to save his planet while going through many different challenges along the way. Paul is accompanied by Chani, who is played by Zendaya. They go through the universe together, but by the end of the movie, Paul breaks his promises to Chani and chooses war over peace. This movie has amazing visuals and the creator’s hard work really shows off throughout the film. The budget for the movie was 190 million dollars and the line producers put the money to use for background and screen reality. This movie is not for people who would rather have romance or horror, but it is for the people who like adventure and action. It resonates with people who like to connect with characters on TV so that they can imagine what it would be like in their lives.

The films are exciting and get people interested in the history of the original. The Dune franchise is almost 70 years old, so the author isn’t able to see all of the joy and happiness that his ideas have brought people today.  All of the fans celebrate the fact that he made the idea of the movies they know and love, and for that, they are grateful. The book was taken and then turned into something else: something amazing and exciting. The fans get invested and love to go along for the ride with the characters they see on the screen. So no, the books aren’t always better. The people who develop ideas from the books and create something new and exciting while still having good bones and structure within the film always have the ability to make it better, and in this case, the books aren’t as good as the movies.