In life, there are many different circumstances that will arise. Because of this, having the right tools in one’s back pocket is crucial for navigating the future. One will need to set goals, create the right mindset, and build relationships. These traits can also be helpful when being a successful high school student and choosing one’s classes.

AMPED is a newer class at the high school. It was added to the curriculum last year, and it is planned to continue in the future. AMPED is not like a regular class. It is a course that has combined two different subjects, math and business. It is a bigger class that involves more group work. It is only eligible for freshmen to take, and they can continue throughout their sophomore year. This class was presented to the teachers last year by Grant Wood AEA. 

Students work on equations in the math portion of the AMPED class.

The second part of AMPED is a lot more advanced. Learners get to have an even more hands-on perspective. Each student is only allowed to be in this class if they have finished the first part of AMPED. This class is made up of sophomores only. This is the first year they have taught the second part of AMPED, so they are experimenting with what to do. There are around 30 students enrolled in the class currently. It is taught by Mrs. Hansen, math teacher, and Mr. Fleege, woodworking teacher. Hansen has been teaching for eight years now. This subject is similar to others she has taught, but there is a lot more building and construction involved. Elijah Gaston, sophomore, said, “I have built a few things by hand.” This has been helpful because he has had some experience and can help other students. This year they made a scale model house out of balsa wood, customized and made cutting boards, made and garden beds. Hansen said, “We got a grant from the Marion Foundation…and we use that money to buy the materials.” Once they are finished constructing them, they will be selling the garden beds to make a profit, so the class can continue to create new projects. The learners also get to experience how to garden. This is one of the biggest projects the students have done. In the past, they have created and sold t-shirts, but this is a whole other level. The class will be making products that are a lot different than t-shirts. The business plan is somewhat different too.

AMPED has been a very important part of the high school. It has brought a different kind of learning. The idea for the class is to give kids another option. It has not only affected the students but also the adults involved. Hansen said, “My favorite part about teaching is having relationships with the kids.” The subject has changed the teacher’s perspective on teaching. It is very different from any other regular class.

Trying new things is very important. It doesn’t matter what kind of student someone is or how one likes to learn. Everyone should get to try different types of learning strategies. Education is never going to stop, so people need to continue to create other styles for everyone’s point of view.