Discovering futures with TAP

The new summer program offers many job shadowing opportunities.

Graduating and moving on to the next phase of life can be an exciting yet daunting experience. Without the structure and guidance of school, many people find themselves struggling to navigate the complexities of their soon-to-be adult life. Many students who face feelings of uncertainty about where to start may be interested in a program that helps prepare for life outside of high school. The Transition Alliance Program (TAP), offered right here inside the high school, is designed to help individuals develop the skills and knowledge they need to succeed in college, the workforce, and beyond.

TAP is a program that is being run by Kristine Dixon who is a teacher at the high school. It is free of cost and available for anyone who has an IEP, 504, or any other qualifying medical diagnosis. Dixon said,

“A lot of students with IEPs are already connected, but I really want to reach more students with a 504 or maybe with anxiety or depression that may be wondering, ‘Hey, how would this look like in a career or what help could I use?’”

The program has been available for two years now and offers numerous opportunities for students who want to prepare themselves for their life after graduation. Dixon said, “If you’re wondering if you’re eligible, come talk to me in room 34 or email me.” It is also worth noting that the program is available for someone until they turn 25 years old, which means the benefits continue after graduation. The program can also be helpful to students who are facing challenges while managing school and a job simultaneously. For instance, if someone is having difficulty asking their boss for a raise or requesting different working hours, Dixon can help them prepare for the conversation. TAP can also assist if one needs the extra push to find and apply for jobs during high school. The list of services and options available is endless. Another offering is to help with transportation needs: getting a driving permit, getting registered for Drivers Ed, or even obtaining a bus pass.

This summer, Dixon is excited to be working on a new option to offer through the program that will take place for two weeks at the start of June. For ten days, different categories of job shadows will be offered. Some include tattooing, animal care, talking with military veterans, art and entrepreneurship, or even assisted living care. Students can sign up for as many days as they’d like. It is designed to give them a hands-on experience and a chance to explore a variety of job options in just a short period. Through job shadowing, students will learn firsthand about the specific skills, knowledge, and responsibilities required in each career. They will also have the opportunity to connect with professionals in the field and ask questions about their career paths. 

TAP is an excellent resource for qualifying students who are looking for guidance and support as they prepare for life after high school. The program offers a variety of opportunities to help students develop the skills and knowledge they need to succeed in college, the workforce, and beyond. Dixon said, “MHS already does a great job offering various programs to help students in these areas. She is dedicated to helping students achieve their goals and is available to answer any questions they may have. TAP expands on this to provide more individualized opportunities for students and for those that may prefer a small group setting or are intimidated by the larger offerings.” The job shadowing program being offered this summer is an exciting addition to TAP and provides students with a unique opportunity to explore different career options.