Sydney Slaymaker

As people continue to help destigmatize mental health, groups such as Green Bandana are present in school environments to continue talking about suicide prevention and offer help to people who may need it. By creating posters, holding events, and showing support to everyone around, this program is made up of students and staff who come together to make this program what it is.

Green Bandana first started at the high school when Michelle Wilson was working with Foundation 2 and wanted to bring a suicide prevention program to the high school. Foundation 2 helped get everything started, and the high school is now a part of the National Bandana Project. Wilson has been in charge of Green Bandana for six years now, and there is also a program at the middle school, which has been going on for four years. Working to help support others, 106 students and 18 staff members are a part of the program this year. This group is made to help those who may be struggling and help show that there are people they can reach out to when they need help, but there is also much more that this program does. Wilson said, “Green Bandana also [holds] activities in our building to promote taking good care of our mental health and eliminate the stigma around talking about mental health.” One of the activities this group holds is laid-back lunches.

Wanting to create a safe and relaxing place, students came up with the idea of starting laid-back lunches. These occur once a year, normally in May, and are a great way for students to hang out and have a fun time during the school day. Lauren Moenk, senior, is a part of the leadership team and helps contribute to these lunches. Moenk said, “These… are beneficial for students because it is a fun experience that is offered to them, and they are able to relax and take their minds off of whatever they may have going on.” During this event, there are many different activities offered for students to participate in. They include free pizza and drinks, volleyball, basketball, spikeball, rock painting, drawing, yoga, and many other options. There are many benefits from having these events.

“The thing I like most about these lunches is seeing how many students show up [because] it shows how much we are advocating for mental health within our high school.”

— Lauren Moenk

Both Wilson and the leadership team help organize these events which continue to create safe and supportive environments for students.

Along with laid-back lunches, Green Bandana has also started laid-back hangouts, which happen once a month during mentor time. This is another welcoming space for students to hang out and have a fun time together. Wilson said, “They promote wellness, both physical and mental, help build social relationships, and [they are] fun.” Taking time out of the day to do fun activities and socialize with others is a great way to have a break from everything that is happening in one’s life. Laid-back lunches and hangouts are both beneficial ways for students to enjoy time at school away from everything going on. This program is a great benefit to the high school and continues to implement events and activities that continue to advocate for mental health within the school and the community.

Green Bandana is an amazing program that does a lot of work towards suicide prevention and supporting others who may be struggling. With help from many students and staff members, they are able to offer different events to create safe and enjoyable spaces for students. Along with being there to help those struggling, the students in this group contribute to the many events held by Green Bandana. This program and the activities it holds are very fun and beneficial for students while also helping to end the stigma around mental health.