March 26, 2024
Some students have different life ambitions, and graduating early is a great option for some.
Premature diploma
March 26, 2024
A student listens to music with her headphones before class.
Blast from the past
March 26, 2024

Each year when Valentine’s Day rolls around, there’s controversy debating if it’s a needed day and why it’s overrated. When most people think of Valentine’s Day, they think flowers, candy, gifts, and spending way too much money, but it doesn’t just need to be about gifts. Kaylenne Blood, sophomore, said, “The most overrated thing about Valentine’s Day is the expectation to do something big with people and buy people gifts. I feel like Valentine’s Day should be more about just spending quality time with your peers.” The day shouldn’t be a stressor to anyone but should rather be a day to emphasize the love to friends, family, and partners.

Some couples or friends decide to buy gifts for each other. $25,900,000 is spent on Valentine’s Day each year in America, and according to Statista, $2,300,000 of that is just on flowers (in the year 2022). While it’s not a bad thing to buy a significant other flowers or gifts, it can make one stressed wanting to be a good companion. Rylie Schutz, senior, said, “I personally feel that anyone should not feel there is too much or too little when showing someone you love them. Be expressive and considerate when it comes to them!” Everyone shows love in different ways, and some express it through gifts. Since Valentine’s Day is broadening to spend with friends and family and not just partners, so much money is being spent.

38 MHS students voted that they like Valentine’s Day while 18 answered no. (Haley Sackett)

Galentine’s Day is becoming more and more popular, and girls are loving to show that being single on Valentine’s Day is completely okay. Blood and Schutz both love the idea of Galentine’s day. Schutz said, “I LOVE IT! Being single lets me celebrate my girls and show them how much I appreciate them!” Blood agrees and said, “I feel Galentine’s Day can definitely be important to the girls out there who have best friends and friends that are important to them because it’s just another day to get together and spend quality time with each other, along with possibly buying gifts for each other.” Whether people spend Valentine’s Day with their significant other, friends, siblings, or parents, there’s never too much love to spread.

Another controversial part about the day is how many decorations are too many decorations? Or, why is everyone decorating so early? The same exact thing happens at Christmas each year, but walking through stores like Walmart or Target, even at the beginning of January, all there is are huge stuffed animals, loads of candy, and festive clothing. Some argue that it’s a good way to spread cheer and love, especially in winter when the cold gets to us all. Some say it’s a huge waste of money, but when there are people one loves, sometimes it’s important to give them small gifts to remind them that they are special.

Valentine’s Day doesn’t just have to be about a partner; it can be fun to spend time with friends and family as well. Getting gifts can be controversial, but if the time is right, why not spend a few extra dollars to remind someone they are loved?