An active misconception

The so-called “perfect picture” of CBum seems to have perfect lighting, perfect pump, and has a filter. This shows how pictures aren’t always 100% of reality.

As social media makes its way into everyone’s hands, it can bring people together and create laughable memories. However, at the same time, there is always the potential for it to be harmful and misleading, especially in the fitness world. Whether it’s Instagram, TikTok, or any other platform, there will always be some creators that are deceptive and disingenuous. 

Looking specifically from a health and wellness standpoint, there are many misconceptions that can ultimately lead to one feeling bad about themselves. An example of this is looking at fitness influencers such as Sam Sulek. He has built an incredible following with his relatable content. Sulek will share his workout routines, meal plans, and just connect with his viewers. However, he’s built like a tank, and whether he’s natural, meaning he’s not on any type of steroid, or not, it doesn’t matter. Younger generations who look up to him might one day hope to achieve that dream physique. This could result in anyone believing that taking some sort of performance-enhancing substance (PEDS) is the only way, or at least a faster option, to see muscle growth.

Any sort of PEDS can lead to major health problems down the road. For teens or early adults, these can be especially dangerous because the body has not fully been able to develop, so it can stunt growth, cause hormonal imbalances, liver damage, and among others. A scary fact on this matter is most, if not all, people that workout on their own might have that thought about taking some sort of enhancement drug. I know this because I’ve thought of it and so have most of my friends. It’s completely human to think or try to find a better and quicker alternative for anything, especially if it’s talked about highly or shown off. But in reality, steroids are not something to play around with as they can cause some serious damage. Even if that dream physique was achieved, it would eventually catch up with anyone taking any drug substance, so it’s not worth it.

Say no to drugs or any performance enhancing substances, and take a break from social media once in a while.

Social media can be super misleading, and it’s important to take into consideration that any post someone might come across is going to be a perfect picture. This means that influencers have taken the time to get the lighting right, making sure their pumps are in check, or even edited. Nothing that’s seen is 100% realistic. The problem is people will compare themselves to others which creates misleading expectations and can lower overall morale and lead to the idea of taking PEDS. Now the question is, how can someone achieve that dream body? Realistically, one might not ever fully get there, but the main factors are consistency, nutrition, and genetics. Putting in the work every week and staying on a plan will allow anybody to see progress. Nutrition is huge and depends on the end goal. If someone is trying to lose weight and gain muscle, watching what they eat is crucial as it’s important to get a good amount of protein but with few calories. Genetics plays a big role based on how some people lose fat or gain muscle. For many, it’ll be a lot easier than others, but remember that everyone can achieve success with hard work and time.

Social media is great overall, but it can still be very misinformative, cause negative body image, and support steroids. It’s important to take a natural route and go at one’s own pace. Don’t let misconceptions become normalized. The best advice for anyone that truly wants to see results is to stay consistent, eat right, and don’t believe everything on social media.