March 26, 2024
Some students have different life ambitions, and graduating early is a great option for some.
Premature diploma
March 26, 2024
A student listens to music with her headphones before class.
Blast from the past
March 26, 2024

Aye aye, captain!

Natalie McAllister, senior, dribbles her way down the court while playing a home game.

Team captains are present in almost every sport at the high school. Athletics including football, volleyball, and soccer all have important and beneficial leaders to their teams. The process by which these captains are chosen is unique to each group. Some are elected by their fellow teammates or coaches, and some are inducted as they become seniors, but each sports team is special in its own way when deciding leaders.

The boy’s wrestling team has three captains of their own. The coaching staff decided on the activity’s leaders this year based on influential qualities like positivity, diligence, and experience within the sport. Jason Haag, the high school’s head wrestling coach, believes that his prime athletes should take on a leadership role on and off the mat. “Part of what we talk about while deciding on captains is, ‘Are they a good student?’ We would never choose anyone who would get in trouble for anything,” said Haag. Regardless of the process in which a leader is chosen, there are ideas and boundaries set up that they should meet. Teammates and coaches recognize the traits that certain players possess that would make great captains for the future. Many leaders may even feel accountable for the behaviors of their fellow peers. Haag said, “I think that captains should only feel responsible for their teammate’s actions to a certain point, but ultimately, it’s the coach’s job to control that.” Head athletes are branches of the coaching staff, but they are teenagers and they are still growing themselves. Improving one’s physical and mental abilities while helping others do the same is a tough job, but the ones who are chosen are chosen for a reason. 

Another team that has captains to represent the school is the girls basketball team. Natalie McAllister, senior, is one of the group’s leaders for this season. She’s been playing basketball since she was around three years old, and her love for the sport has only grown with her age. McAllister explained that she was chosen by her coaches this year, but in the past few years, the team voted for who they thought deserved it the most. To earn the role of a captain, there are lots of traits one needs to have.

“Just being positive and believing in all of your teammates is really important.”

— Natalie McAllister

Making sure a team is approaching issues and tough situations with grace can be a difficult but crucial aspect of athletics, but captains can help support their team and improve the chemistry that happens during practice and games. 

These same qualities will carry over into much more than just high school. Leadership skills can be used in every career, and team captains are given an opportunity to take a stab at it. From both a coach’s and captain’s point of view, athletic leaders should be positive and there for their team. It’s important to remember to take care of teammates just as much as oneself though. Leading a group and having numerous people look up to someone is not for everybody, but when an active person is great at it, it benefits everyone involved. Gaining the role and title of a “captain” is a privilege that many hope to achieve one day.