McGuire excited for golf season

By: Hannah Miller, Design editor

The weather is finally warming up and the flowers are beginning to bloom. She knows the golf season is about to start. She gets her clubs ready and heads to the first practice. They hit the range and hit some balls before the chip and putt. The first practice went well and she ready for the season to go well too.

The golf season is starting up and Heather McGuire, junior, is excited for it. “I feel like we we are gunna become state champs,” she says with a laugh. She has high hopes for the team and she hopes they achieve them.

Practices have started for Heather and the team. They practice almost every day for about an hour. “[My least favorite part would have to be the] practices because they are long and boring,” she explains. In practice, they practice the fundamentals of the game. “We either play some holes or go to the driving range and chip and putt,” she says. Heather knows she has to practice to be good, but she would rather want to be out there playing.

The best part about golf to Heather is the meets. “The meets are the best because than I don’t have to practice,” she says with a snicker. Heather also loves being able to see her friends from other schools. “The Hunter Ridge meets [are my favorite] because I get to see all my friends that play for Linn Mar,” she expresses. The meets are why she goes out for golf, so she can have fun and see her friends.

She steps up to take her first swing of the meet. The club is in her hand and she swings with all her might. She watches it as it flies perfectly through the air down the fairway. It lands a perfect distance from the green. An easy chip and a putt she thinks. She is ready to win the meet.