Absurd authority

Voters will need to be informed about the presidential candidates before the 2024 election on November 7.

Once every four years, the presidential election rolls around in the United States, meaning the 2024 election is just around the corner. According to the New York Times, there are 17 candidates running with 13 being republican, three being democrats, and one being third party.

Joe Biden is currently the President of the United States, but many question if he is too old to run in the next election. There are a plethora of candidates that are older, but there isn’t a variety of young people running for president in the 2024 election. There are only three candidates who will be under 50 years old on inauguration day, which is January 20. A lot of the campaigning that is being done by Biden and Donald Trump, the previous president, tries to focus on young people since there is a new wave of early adults who will be able to vote. The targeting isn’t appropriate; Biden recently released a coffee mug with his face on it, and when it gets hot, the eyes beam red. The media has said they were trying to turn the “Let’s Go Brandon” meme around and make it his own. The nominees making a joke out of the election and trying to be funny about it doesn’t make the general population feel the best. Making rights on one’s body, religion, and justice seem like a joke when it should be taken seriously isn’t okay. It is sad that these are the options one is able to vote for.       

American teens can play a crucial role in global political problems by actively engaging themselves and peers in open and respectful discussions, both online and offline. They can start by educating themselves about political issues in today’s world, reading news sources, both biased towards either side and the middle, and seeking out different perspectives. Sharing informative and correct content on social media platforms can help get others involved in global issues and encourage them to broaden their horizons. Additionally, participating in youth-led organizations, attending international events, and even talking to others like teachers, friends or family members, can help one understand cross-cultural issues.

Taking these steps not only helps American teens contribute to a more informed and globally aware society, it also helps foster one’s empathy and cooperation in an increasingly interconnected world.