Rise of rugby

Frances Lausen, senior, makes the run with the ball to score a tri. Rugby is a newer sport to Cedar Rapids Washington High School and can be a great way to be competitive and have fun.

Tackling lightning-fast, sprinting girls to the ground, using one’s body as a weapon on the field and making split second decisions for your whole team, one wrong move and it could throw the game. All one needs to do is tie their cleats and get tangled into the life of a rugby player, where the games are vigorous, precise, and intense.

Frances Lausen, senior at Linn-Mar High School, was happy to see a rugby team form because it is her life and passion. Growing up around the sport of rugby at a young age made her love grow for the sport while she grew as a person. Washington High School has had a women’s rugby team for three years, and she has been captain for two of the three. Practices are on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays. Running through a day-to-day practice, it starts with warm-up drills, practicing set pieces, conditioning, then team reflection. Matches are on Mondays, which started September 18. Many of the past players either graduated or are hurt this season, including herself. Frances makes it to every practice she can, even if it means she is out the rest of her life. Rebuilding the team with confidence, work ethic, and skill is important to her because she can still show the hard teamwork she is putting on the field even if she isn’t able to play. With only one home game in Cedar Rapids and the rest being far away, traveling to the events can be quite the commitment, but the most amount of traveling is around two hours. When one is on the pitch and playing, it is really short and intense. Lausen’s younger sister, Chayse Lausen, sophomore at Linn-Mar High School, also plays alongside her, as well as her dad who is one of the coaches. Lausen said, “I would love to coach. I am very grateful for all the coaches that shaped who I am from every sport I’ve played, and I would love to be that person in someone else’s life.” Lausen is a team leader on and off the pitch. She makes sure that even if one has been playing for three days or even three years, that the person understands everything and most importantly feels confident. The past years’ teams have led Wash to state constantly. This year with having many new girls out, they are very much an underdog team. Burning rage and passion pumping through their blood to get a win and continue the tradition of going to State lives in all of the players. Only being a club for three years isn’t a setback to them because of the solid coaching staff.

Patrick Lausen has been coaching for nine years and counting. He started coaching at the high school in 2015 and then switched to Wash in 2016. Recently in 2021, he started coaching and helped gain interest in the women’s rugby team at Wash. Lausen is a very skilled coach because he has been playing for more than a decade.

He has played at Coe College, Cedar Rapids Headhunters, Heathens Rugby, and Bremer Co. Coaching is one of the events in his life that takes up his time. He loves coaching. Coach Lausen said, “It’s an incredible experience to teach someone a sport they have never played and maybe never even seen played and have them execute and be successful.” This year, Lausen is the assistant coach, but later in the spring will coach the Cedar Rapids Washington boys rugby team. He helps every player out head to toe from making sure one has cleats and a game ready face.

Rugby is a big community, and everyone has mutual respect for each other. It doesn’t only challenge one physically, it also challenges one mentally. If one is interested in the sport of rugby, it is never too late to join. Joining the girls team could make new friendships and find a new passion for a person. Trying new things could benefit one’s confidence and would be a benefit in many other ways. Only being a club for three years for this team isn’t a setback to them, it’s a chance to show everyone their potential.