Making old, new

Starry+Elementary+and+the+current+high+school+auditorium+have+hosted+countless+students%2C+families%2C+and+community+members+throughout+the+years%2C+but+new+structures+offer+an+exciting+future.+
Starry Elementary and the current high school auditorium have hosted countless students, families, and community members throughout the years, but new structures offer an exciting future.

As the school year takes motion, many are feeling full of anticipation for what’s to come with the changes of the auditorium and the elementary building. The auditorium, once the heart of the school for many students, is being replaced with a new one that fits the need for space so more kids can get the chance to experience the thrill on stage. In addition, the community is building a new elementary. These new developments lead to questions about what the existing spaces will be used for in the future.

Students and staff will be able to share the joys of learning and performing hopefully by the spring of next year. The new auditorium will be located in front of the Red Gym, so some of the old parking space will be used in order to make this possible. Superintendent, Dr. Janelle Brouwer said, “There will be a walkway that’s designed as an outdoor seating area.” This gives the place benches and more landscaping that allows students a better chance to work outdoors. But the “old” auditorium still exists and should be used in some way. Dr. Brouwer said, “Due to funding, the next phase of renovations won’t happen until the next five to eight years.” Some of the ideas are turning it into a private theater, rec area, and future class space. Davin Tuuri, sophomore, was in last year’s play and musical. He mentioned he had a fun time doing them, but said, “It wasn’t as great as I would have hoped just because it had a smaller stage.” With the construction of the new addition, that shouldn’t be a concern anymore with Tuuri noting the renderings of the revamped one looking double in size. With space being one of the primary issues, it will be very beneficial for all students so they can begin performing in this adventurous space.

The auditorium is not the only big change that is occurring. A brand new school called Park View Elementary is being built where the old football field was located by Thomas Park. Park View will be replacing Starry starting next year. This leaves the debate on what to do with all that current space. Dr. Brouwer said, “The short answer is we don’t know what it will be used for, but it will be used.” Since renovations won’t be occurring for roughly five to six years at the earliest, the school committee has plenty of planning to figure it out. Some ideas so far are using the building for the high school and turning it into office space, nurse space, shop classes, and many more. With the possible renovation ideas occurring down the road, it’s important to add that the Starry playground will stay as is for right now, so children in the neighborhood will still get the opportunity to play. Another important note for parents is the boundaries will remain the same. 7th Ave. will still be the line that separates Park View and Longfellow.

As the 2024 school year goes on, Dr. Brouwer said, “The students are the reason we’re doing this. It’s not about the adults, it’s about the students.” She believes people will find all of these changes worth it. Hopefully students can see how the community invests in everyone’s future because it’s all done for them. Even though upperclassmen might not experience these changes, it’s done for the future of the district.