Don’t judge a book by it’s cover

By Lexi Rael, Staff Writer

They are seen everyday, in the hallways, in the classrooms, in the cafeteria, but where most people see them the most are at the games. They are the cheerleaders. They stand right next to the game, showing their support and love for the home team.

Tamara Mull, sophomore, is a JV cheerleader for both men’s and women’s basketball here at Marion. “[I joined cheerleading because] I thought it would be something fun and a new experience, which it has been both years that I have been involved in cheerleading,” states Tamara. On days that there are home games, Tamara can be seen in her cheerleading uniform ready to help her team reach another victory.
Right now, Tamara is in winter cheer. This involves basketball and wrestling cheer. “This season is coming along well. We are working in the new cheerleaders, and they’ve been catching on well. We will only get better as the season continues,” Tamara says as a small smile escapes her lips. Tamara enjoys working with the new cheerleaders, and she remembers what it felt like for her, “I was nervous.” For most people, nerves are a normal feeling before their first game.
A lot of students don’t think cheerleading should count as a sport and Tamara disagrees with their point of view. “It is so much more than people think it is. It’s very physical and it takes hard work. There is also a lot of memorization.” Cheerleading is more than other people realize and it takes dedication. One thing to take away from this,
don’t judge a book by it’s cover.