March 26, 2024
Some students have different life ambitions, and graduating early is a great option for some.
Premature diploma
March 26, 2024
A student listens to music with her headphones before class.
Blast from the past
March 26, 2024

Learning leadership

Baking, sewing, and volunteering are all activities that one could participate in if they joined FCCLA

Acquiring leadership skills can be a difficult task as a young adult, but FCCLA, also known as Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America, can assist students in achieving their goals. Although students can gain skills from athletics, FCCLA offers abilities that can be used for the rest of one’s life. The club supports one’s future in allowing students to pursue entrepreneurial careers, child education, and culinary professions. The first few meetings have begun to transpire, but the club doesn’t officially take off until next year.

FCCLA is aiming for the group to be completely student-run, yet as it begins to get off its feet, Veronica Farwell and Greta Westfall, the school’s family consumer science teachers, have been advising the meetings. Because there have only been a couple of gatherings, the activities so far have been planning future projects like fundraising and volunteering. The group is currently searching for local, non-profit groups to participate in. “Right now, we are looking at being a part of Sleep in Heavenly Peace, which is a program that physically builds beds for children who have never had them,” said Farwell. The FCCLA program is a great opportunity to help the community and make a difference in the lives of those who need it. Farwell also mentioned how she thinks the group can improve her students’ futures.

“I think this organization, primarily, does a fantastic job preparing students to be career-ready.”

— Veronica Farwell

Another feature of FCCLA that she thinks is helpful is the leadership aspect. Learning how to deal with different personality types and educating oneself on their own personality is something that Farwell believes students could benefit from in the club. She and Westfall are excited to see the things the group will accomplish.

Starting in August of the upcoming year, FCCLA will now be required in every district in the state of Iowa. This new demand has sparked controversy surrounding the topic of funding within schools. The club requires hundreds of dollars to support the activities and projects. Each student must also pay a due of nine dollars to participate in FCCLA. Ada Dietzenbach, sophomore, has her own opinions on the new requirement. “It’s nice for schools to have [FCCLA] because I feel like a lot of people would like to join it, but I don’t think every school should have to have it,” said Dietzenbach. She believes that the recent mandate is a bit harsh, and she isn’t the only one who feels this way. Many gather that if the group is now obligatory, funding should also be provided. Low-income schools may have struggles in affording this program. Marion even had its own issues while getting the club running. “Especially our school, we had to get a lot of funding for it,” said Dietzenbach. Strong feelings come with any new change, and this group is no different.

Elementary school teachers, private chefs, CEOs, and entrepreneurs are all careers one could excel in if they participated in FCCLA. Why begin in college or after graduation when the high school has a club where getting a head start is a possibility? The sky’s the limit when it comes to achieving one’s goals, and FCCLA is the perfect place to start.