March 26, 2024
Some students have different life ambitions, and graduating early is a great option for some.
Premature diploma
March 26, 2024
A student listens to music with her headphones before class.
Blast from the past
March 26, 2024

Is the tan worth it?

Emalee Urquidez
The average costs for a spray tan at a local salons can range anywhere from $30-$50.

Social media and trends can influence people’s actions, especially with their appearance. Normally it’s with makeup, clothing, life hacks, etc., but through the decades, what is popular has changed drastically. It has gone from working in the shadows to avoid the sun in the 19th century and before to self-tanning and spray tanning becoming the new norm in the 21st. 

In the ancient centuries, being as pale as possible was routine. According to The Guardian, “Dark skin was associated with serfdom and toiling in fields all day. Using poisonous whiteners to create pale skin has been popular throughout history – particularly during the ancient Greek, Roman, and Elizabethan eras.” People began to develop bone abnormalities which were believed to be caused by a lack of Vitamin D. Everything all changed when a magazine was published; the women on the cover were bronzed from being on a cruise. This flipped the general population’s perspective, and sunbathing and using UV light was the new beauty standard.

For many years, using “light” to tan was normalized until people started getting skin cancer and more cons started surfacing. Because of this, companies began to try and solve people’s problems by coming out with products that would tan without using any rays. Spray tans and self-tanner was born. Need an instant tan? Book a spray tan or head to a local drug store and purchase a self-tanner. 

Even though this was supposed to be the solution to many people’s problems, there will always be negative aspects for some. “Some self-tanners smell bad and can stain your clothes and bedding,” said Hailey Erkel, freshman. In addition to that, when many think of a self-tanner, “orange” is the first idea that comes to mind. “Self-tanning and spray tanning can become streaky and uneven, and you also have to avoid getting sweaty and wet for a certain period,” said Addyson Bulicek, senior. Pricing is also a huge factor. A walk-in spray tan can range anywhere between $30-$50, while self-tanning can cost $10-$60. The reality is that not many people have the extra funds for that. While there are many cons, there is a way to possibly eliminate some of those: be educated.

Anyone can pick up a bottle of self tanner by heading to the nearest drug store.

People may think it’s just rubbing or getting color sprayed on one’s skin, but the process can actually be quite extensive. On the app TikTok, Jackie and Victoria Hondrou have a page that teaches specifically how to properly self-tan. They talk and educate their audience about the prep, how to properly apply, what to apply with, etc. Taking the time to do proper research on what’s best for an individual’s skin is what’s needed in order for many to get the desired result of a bronzed glow.

Because of the influence of social media, people of all ages can see trends, but does that mean everyone should participate? Some local salons have set age limits for spray tanning, such as ages 12 and under can not spray. “I don’t think an age limit is necessary, but younger kids with more sensitive skin should probably steer away from it,” said Bulicek. Ingredients for spray tanning are in fine print in a salon’s state document, advising one to use eye goggles, nose plugs, and even ear plugs. To even get a spray tan, one must have parent consent. 

Even with the cons and history of tanning, it has changed daily routines for many people. “It makes me feel confident, and it’s also very convenient for special events,” said Erkel. Media platforms normalizing it for beauty have changed the game even with previous historical standards.