March 26, 2024
Some students have different life ambitions, and graduating early is a great option for some.
Premature diploma
March 26, 2024
A student listens to music with her headphones before class.
Blast from the past
March 26, 2024

Abandoned building; new possibilities

Landri Albers
The Crestview Acres Nursing Home will need to be reimagined into a better purpose for the community.

What’s up with that!? This thought has crossed many people’s minds when passing through the four-way intersection of Grand Ave. and S. 15th St. It’s hard not to notice the mess that was once known as Crestview Acres. The nursing home faced detrimental damage from the derecho in August of 2020 and has been neglected ever since– left to rot. Smashed windows, a caved-in roof, and greeting cards of those who used to call this place home still taped up are all reasons why this sad nursing home is an eyesore to all Marion residents. Now it’s time to ask the burning question, “What should happen next?”

With all of the damage, no electricity, mold, and being home to more wild animals than senior citizens these days, the only logical solution is to reimagine the space and put it to better use. With a plethora of newly built nursing homes in the community, using the property for a new function would be very beneficial to everyone. I feel there are several better options for the space instead of the abandoned building sitting there being a burden to the town. 

One option to utilize the space would be to build a splash pad and picnic area for families that live nearby. Many of the housing options in the surrounding neighborhoods don’t have backyards, so residents could benefit from having a space to socialize and exercise. People using Starry Baseball Diamonds could also utilize this space on hot summer days before and after games. 

Another alternative would be to turn it into a recreational area with basketball and pickleball courts. Pickleball is becoming more and more popular throughout the world, and basketball is fun for all ages. An area like this could be used by the community far beyond just those living in the neighborhood. For example, Marion Parks and Rec could put on community tournaments and offer lessons. 

A third idea is to use the space for parking. We all know Marion struggles with a big parking problem, so this could satisfy that need. When Starry Diamonds is being occupied over the summer, it would be nice to have some extra space. Parking away from the diamonds would reduce the number of foul balls hitting cars. It would also be useful to the high school when we have multiple big events happening. There are many nights when something is going on at the football field, auditorium, gyms, and even classrooms. So one can imagine that the parking options are pretty scarce. With this extra parking, it would be a short walk up to the high school and fix the problem of people parking on the Grand Ave easement.

Lastly, a laundromat and cafe combination would be helpful to many in the neighborhood. There are not many restaurants within walking distance and many apartments don’t have access to a washer and dryer. Parents could wash their clothes while also feeding their families. Having a cafe connected to the laundromat would also supply jobs to people in the area and create a nice hangout spot. This idea seems to be a win-win for the whole neighborhood. 

Everyone can agree that tearing down the dilapidated Crestview Acres building and reimagining the space is long overdue. With welcome signs of demolition being seen on the property, there seem to be glimmers of hope that change is coming soon. Hopefully, we will soon get answers to the burning question, “What’s up with that?!”