Expanding electives

Sydney Slaymaker
Students in the new interior design class are using different websites to create their designs.

As students’ interests in subjects and activities are constantly growing and changing, the school tries to accommodate that by adding more classes that everybody will enjoy. From art and science electives to new Kirkwood courses being offered at the school, there are opportunities for everyone to expand their knowledge in the areas that interest them most. These options are great to learn more about career paths one may want to look into or improve skills they may already have. Just this year, many new electives have been added to the high school for people to take. This gives students the chance for so many new learning opportunities.

As electives are a required part of high school, it is important to make sure there is something for everyone to enjoy. Greta Westfall, FCS teacher, said, “Electives are a great way for [kids] to look into their passions… [they] really help [them] expand their knowledge beyond their core classes.” Taking electives is a major part of being in high school, so it’s good to find the courses that are going to help build skills that one wants to use. There are a variety of classes offered to take as electives, which can give students many options to learn new topics, and it can also create a break from the regular core subjects. Kayla Hess, junior, said, “I like not having to worry about them so much, and just having more fun with them.” Having time in school that is enjoyable and informative is great for students. Because these electives are so important in school, more are being offered in hopes of having something for every person to enjoy. Some of these include interior design, Kirkwood history, additional art courses, and many others. Art classes can be a great way for students to express their creativity while also giving them a chance to learn more and improve their artistic skills. Also, having the new college courses being offered at the high school is an amazing opportunity for one to learn at a college level and get credits while still in high school. 

Most enjoy taking these because they are more guided towards what they like. Teachers also enjoy instructing them as well. Westfall said, “Electives are so much fun to teach. My elective classes usually get students who are interested in whatever the class is about and they really want to learn more about it.” Being able to engage in a class makes it much more enjoyable, and it’s easier to do well in it. People tend to work harder when they are doing something they want to do, which is essentially what these electives are. Teaching these classes can also help teachers engage with their students. As Westfall said, she loves getting to have conversations with her students and seeing them have passion for what they are learning. 

While the school continues to expand the courses offered, there are still more that teachers would like to teach, and students would like to take. Electives are Hess’s favorite classes to take. Hess said, “[It] seems like it’s always the same subject or just higher levels of the class.” She likes some of the electives offered but would also like for additional classes to be available. Because electives are so important, it is ideal to find the ones that one will enjoy the most. Westfall said, “Electives are most fun when you have a real interest in what they are about.” To make the most out of what’s offered at the high school, it is important to sign up for the courses that one will be able to enjoy best.

Electives are a great way for one to expand their knowledge in areas that they want to learn about. They can help build skills for jobs that one may want to have and can be a fun experience for people to be a part of in school. As students’ interests are constantly changing, having these classes and adding new ones gives them the opportunity to learn more about what they like. With all of these available electives, there is something to accommodate everyone, and what they want to learn about.