The success of a new rule

Alex Coleman @Its_GalPalAl [Executive Web Editor]

A few days ago, Marion experienced an event that could potentially change events for years to come. This event was prom, but not just any prom. Amongst the dazzling gowns and sharp tuxes of the evening, there was a new attitude floating through the hoards of students. A recent development in the rules had a few people shifting uncomfortably in their heels, but in the end it turned out to be one of the best changes to happen to the student body. Officially as of this years prom, Marion has banned grinding, and the result was better than anyone could’ve hoped for; especially Greg Semler, principle and the advocate of the new rule. “I thought prom was exceptional. It was student driven, the music was student produced and presented, the decorations were appropriate and not too ostentatious for a high school setting, and finally students were allowed to come to a place just to have a good time instead of worrying about anything inappropriate,” commented Semler.

Outside of appeasing the administration and the chaperones of the dance, the new regulation was a pleasure for students as well. Lawryn Fraley and Ariel Carter, both seniors and friends who attended prom in a group together, have to agree with everyone’s positive comments. “We finally learned how to have fun without grinding, and we saw some pretty darn great dancers come out of their shells,” Fraley explained, “also, boys who can dance are hot.” Outside of the newfound freestylers amongst peers, there were other perks to the grindless event. “I have brought the same guy to our dances for the past three years, and this is the first dance I have been proud of my association with this school and how it represents itself through it’s activities,” stated Carter.

Although the ability to uphold the rule had been doubted by students before hand, it was clear that Semler had no intention of letting up the decision. “I’m not one of those people who will tolerate anything, if I set my mind to it I’m going to follow through,” said Semler. Although there were a few students who felt the need to push the rules, no one was actually kicked out of the dance after their initial warnings. Even though there was a lot of doubt, Marion pulled through in the end. “The point is we did it, and it was okay. So for some of the other schools who think it isn’t possible, it is. It worked for us, and we’ll never change it back. As we go on culturally, and other kids continue to come to our school, other places will start to accept it as well. So for now, we can definitely say there’s one grind free school in Iowa,” declared Semler.

A group of students doing the Cupid Shuffle at prom