Bohland reflects on Speechless showcase

By: Savannah Guyer @SavannahMGuyer [Feature Editor]

Last night was the Annual Speech Showcase put on by Marion’s own speech team: Speechless. The group put on quite an unique show at the Cedar Rapids Library, their acts ranging everywhere from solo improv, to first acts of plays, to sentimental poetry. This exhibit was the last of the year, and for the seniors, the finale of their high school careers. Freshman Shea Bohland, although planning on carrying out her time in Speechless for the next three years at MHS, was one of the several performers to soak up her moment on stage for the final time of the 2014-2015 season.

This show was unlike any other Bohland had put on before, a good portion of the audience had never before seen the speech team perform whereas she is used to the excitement of competitions where everyone knows what they are watching unfold before them. “It was a little weird being in front of people who were unfamiliar with speech, but it was good to have a last performance with people I may never perform with again,” Bohland explained. Through the awkwardness, Bohland was appreciative of the chance to be with the seniors for a final instance before moving on. “I was so glad that we had one last time, it will be weird not having them around next year,” Bohland went on to say.

With this season officially over, Bohland has some time to look back on the year and assess the progress she has made since joining freshman improv. “I think I know a lot more. I feel like I definitely have improved since the beginning of the season,” Bohland commented. With this year of speech behind her, Bohland is ready to look forward to the next. “I hope that our groups make it to state and that I make solo next year,” Bohland stated hopefully.

Although it may be difficult to let go of the people that have become a sort of trademark for Speechless, there is an impending future that has not only Bohland but the rest of the team excited for the season ahead.

Shea Bohland performs with her freshman improv act at the Annual Speech Showcase held last night.