Jobs, sports, and homework oh my!

Noah Walter @Tyrannoahsaurus [Staff Writer]

He wraps up burritos and the opposing teams receivers. Being an employee, student, and athlete can be very hectic. This is the life of most teens nowadays, all of them needing money for every late night taco bell run, or those sick new Jordans that just came out.

Austin Brown, senior, is one of the many students that live this hectic lifestyle. Brown, has been working at Chipotle the past 5 months, while having to balance the start of football season, and this being his senior year at Marion all at the same time.

When Brown started at Chipotle he worked quite a few hours. “I worked 40 hours or more the first two weeks I was there,” said Brown. He had to deal with all of this work at Chipotle, and football practice everyday. “I’d get off at like 12:30 some nights, and then have to go to football the next morning,” Brown commented. He would have to sweat from morning until night, on the field, in the kitchen, and in the classroom.

Brown is the ‘prep guy’ at Chipotle. “I cut onions and peppers, marinate the steak and chicken. Cut cheese and also do dishes,” Brown explained. Even though this causes a lot of stress and pressure on Brown, he still enjoys it. “It keeps me active and on my feet, it also keeps me out of trouble,” laughed Brown.

Brown isn’t the only teen who has to do this, most teens nowadays have jobs and over 50% play sports according to usnews.com. All of these experiences are what shapes the high school experiences of teen’s today.

Just like Austin Brown, senior, who works at Chipotle, many teens have jobs
View Comments (1)