Media Associate takes library by storm

Emma Hartman @Steal_Your_Hart [Staff Writer]

A new school year brings new changes. With new classes, news students, and new schedules, there is one change we might have overlooked. Mary Brandhurst, the new library media associate, is not truly a newbie to the job considering she had worked at the high school for seven years. Brandhurst has been working in the Marion district for 17 years in various positions. She worked at Emerson for seven years, at Vernon for two, and has worked as a Special Ed teacher.

Coming back to work at the high school was really no problem for her. “I knew Apra and other teachers, it was a nice change.,” Brandhurst commented. The media associate says she never pictured herself as a school librarian. “I just thought at this point in my life, it might be a nice transition. I really enjoy working with kids,” Brandhurst explained. She has a degree from William Penn college in K-12 P.E.

Brandhurst is married to her husband Jay, and they have two adult children. Their son Casey is married to his wife Lindsey, and they have a two year old daughter named Reid. Their other son, Sean, is 23 and not married.

Outside of work, Brandhurst enjoys shopping, reading, and spending time with her friends and family. She also spends some of her time rooting for the Hawkeyes. “They need all the cheering they can get,” Brandhurst said with a chuckle .

Mary Brandhurst said that she does not have a least favorite part about working in the Librarian. “Probably just having to tell students to not eat at the computers,” Brandhurst stated. Her favorite part is being around the students, some she has known since they were little, and being able to help them and talk with them. Mary Brandhurst loves her job at MHS and is happy she made the decision to come back here to work.

Mary Bandhurst, the new media associate in the library, sits behind her desk
View Comments (1)