March 26, 2024
Some students have different life ambitions, and graduating early is a great option for some.
Premature diploma
March 26, 2024
A student listens to music with her headphones before class.
Blast from the past
March 26, 2024

The story behind “All About the Bass”

By: Savannah Guyer, @SavannahMGuyer  [Feature Editor]

-Commentary-

It’s the song everyone and their mother considers their “jam”, the energetic melody being blasted from cars, radios, and iPods of all kind. “All About That Bass” by Meghan Trainor is the newest pop hit, the song making it up the iTunes charts to the second spot of most bought on the popular site.

Before Trainor shot to stardom with the release of her first official single, she was just a girl from Nantucket Island, Massachusetts with dreams of becoming something more. The ambitious American began her journey at the age of seven when she started making music, leading her to write her first song by the age of eleven. As Trainor got older, she began going on writing sessions to different parts of the country to expand her knowledge of what music outside of her state. Trainor decided to settle in Nashville, Tennessee at the age of nineteen. The young artist then met with Kevin Kadish, a Grammy nominated producer, in California and proceeded to write “All About That Bass” with him. Many artists were competing to record the song, but L.A. Reid discovered Trainor’s demo of it and immediately signed her to Epic Records, where she released the song.

Now, Trainor’s original hit is exploding off of several top one hundred charts, getting all sorts of attention for its body confident lyrics. The message- every girl should be happy in the body they’re in- is spreading to women of all different shapes and sizes, evoking a wildly popular response. This song is one that encourages a new age of acceptance, embracing that everyone is beautifully made in their own way. This may be the start of a better self image music genre, and hopefully, isn’t the last we hear of Meghan Trainor.

"All About the Bass" hit #2 on the iTunes chart this week.
“All About the Bass” hit #2 on the iTunes chart this week.