Young, wild and running

By: Andie Scott [staff writer] @kewtheravager

Here at Powwow Headquarters, there’s much to-do about spring sports. It’s fun having something to write about besides the depressing Iowa winter! Thankfully, yesterday things were sprinted into motion! We’re racing towards the finish line for the end of winter and hurdling into a new season of fun, excitement, cheering, and SPORTS!

If its not obvious by all the hint words, track is starting again at Marion, and there’s a lot of excitement surrounding the very first meet, which occurred yesterday. Dontavious Young, junior, is pretty excited for the season. “I feel pretty good about it. We’ve got a good bunch of guys that work hard.” He said before the meet.

Young joined track in order to stay in shape for the other sport he’s in, football, where being quick is a very important quality. Young is definitely that, and he knows it. “I’m fast and I like to win.” He said with a smirk.

However, there’s more to track than just running around like a chicken with no head. Or, rather, more than just running in general. It’s also about teamwork between mates and, even more importantly, coaches. In this area, the game has been changed since last year, as Coach Immerfall stepped down as the coach of track, which is now being headed by Coach Thornton.

Young seems mixed about the whole thing, “I’m sad Coach Immerfall left… I like Mr. Thornton a lot. I don’t know about the assistant coach. I haven’t talked to them enough.”

Only time will tell it seems, in more ways than one. Time – particularly the shortest time – will tell how the track team will do in achieving their goals throughout the season. “[I want to] go to Drake, go to state, and hopefully place.” He elaborates. It’s likely that the rest of the team shares the same dreams.

Track, like all sports, is a commitment. It will take passion, determination, and strength no matter what the goal, coach, or team is for the season. And while there are changes afoot this year, the sense of excitement and anticipation is still high. We’ll be cheering on the track team all the way, either from the bleachers or in our thoughts.