Siblings share a spotlight

By: Kaela Halvorson [Design Editor] @kaelswhales

Waking up on a birthday should feel like a spotlight, a day that everything revolves around the birthday boy/girl, but for Kyle and Alexis it’s a little different. The brother and sister duo share a birthday, which doesn’t seem so unusual, except for the fact they are not twins.

Born two years apart exactly, Kyle VanMeter, junior, and Alexis VanMeter, freshman, share the same day of birth. They sometimes are asked if they are twins, but one is 17 and the other is 15. Most people like their birthday and all the attention that comes along, but the siblings have to find a way to evenly divide the birthday attention. “Yes, [it’s weird] and then I have to share my spotlight with her,” said K. VanMeter. They celebrate it together as well, “We go out to eat,” said A. VanMeter, but K. VanMeter said, “We have parties on different days.” Both agree that they are pretty close, so sharing a birthday doesn’t seem to affect them that much.

Birthdays are supposed to be special and sharing one with a sibling could be seen as unfortunate, but the two consider it very special. At the end of the day it’s just another year and a new stage in their life they get to share together since they share a date of birth.

Kyle (Left) and Alexis (right0 VanMeter show their sibling love on their birthday.