Snow wins and the students rejoice

By: Andie Scott [Staff Writer] @KewtheRavager

This Monday, MHS threw in the towel in the fight against winter in (temporary) surrender, calling a snow day for all students. It certainly hasn’t been the first one Marion’s had this season, but it certainly is the most recent one in memory and possibly the most surprising. Then again, maybe every snow day is a pleasant surprise that no one sees coming! After all, just one of those days where one has a legitimate reason to avoid going outside and laze around inside all day. Why? Because outside is so bad that SCHOOL was cancelled! Yes, there is no better excuse to be lazy on the face of the earth than school being cancelled due to a snow day.

Joe Baum, sophomore, is one such student that laughs in the face of being active. “I woke up, went downstairs, watched TV, and sat on my butt and played Pokemon. Then I raged because I couldn’t catch a Lugia.”

Catching and fighting with little monsters on a Nintendo DS is a great way to spend a free day. But when catching Pokemon is too much effort, catching some extra Zs is just as good. “I slept,” Said Ellie Beghtol, sophomore, “I literally slept all day. I had to wake up early at 8, and then I slept ‘till 3. Then I woke up.”

Many students had to work over the snow day, which is a little crappy, but if students working is bad, teachers having to work is worse. No rest for the staff, it seems – if it’s not taking care of students and trying to get them to stop talking for a minute and pay attention, it’s something else. “I came to work [for the snow day].” Said Principal Greg Semler. “Paperwork.”

We should all have a moment of silence for those whose free time and lazy spirit was slain by work this snow day. After that, it’s back to school and everyone’s normal routine, until it’s disrupted by yet another snow day. Because, let’s face it, it’s winter in Iowa. Odds are, another snow day is just around the blizzardy corner.

Thanks, snow! Looks like you're good for something after all.
Thanks, snow! Looks like you’re good for something after all.