Meet Our New Staff Members at MHS

A new year means many new things- new classes, new school supplies, new friends, and much more. In the rush and excitement of coming back to school, many forget that not only are there new students, but new teachers also.

When old teachers leave, it is up to new teachers to fill their spots. That can be a pretty daunting task, but our three new teachers definitely have enough training, preparation and and personality to go above and beyond expectations.

As many know, Mrs. Parham changed buildings and is now at starry as the ELL teacher of the district. In her place is Paige Junge (pronounced as Young-E). This year she will be teaching Freshman and Senior English classes. This is Ms. Junge’s “first real gig” as she puts it. She previously joined the Peace Corps after she got her bachelor’s degree at Iowa. During her time in the Corps she helped in schools in Senegal, Africa, where she was greatly inspired. “I decided to go into teaching when I came home.” explains Ms. Junge. So she went back to the U of I to get her masters degree in teaching. Now she is here, full of energy and ready to use her powers for the good of education.

Next up, Mrs. Keeney! A young, recently married blonde who graduated from Wartburg College, where she played basketball. Mrs. Keeney teaches Integrated algebra one and two in Mrs. Parr’s old room. “I am just ready to get started and get into a routine,” comments Mrs. Keeney about her classes. Her room is decorated and ready, and today was her first class ever taught. Mrs. Keeney really likes the feel of MHS, “[Marion] definitely has that small town feel in a big area” she explains, “And the staff has been great! I like how close the math teachers are.” adds Mrs. Keeney.

The final teacher to join the MHS staff is Sarah Poe. Mrs. Poe teaches Special Education for grades nine through twelve. “I had a lot of interest in music therapy, and I wanted to do a little bit more specific work on a regular basis.” she said when explaining what inspired her to teach. Mrs. Poe went to Ankeny High School and, like Ms. Junge and Mrs. Keeney, this is her first year teaching. She explains herself as easy-going and also adds that she is open to any volunteers in the classroom and any questions. When Mrs. Poe has free time, she likes to spend it knitting, “I am currently working on a sweater” she says. Mrs, Poe is also very appreciative of MHS, “I’ve gotten a very, very good feeling from the administrators and the staff. [MHS] is a very close knit community.” Mrs. Poe has been working very hard on the new Life Skills room. The Life skills room is located in room 60 across from the computer lab and is designed to prepare students for an independent life after high school. The hard work of preparing for a new school year, and today her students got to experience the new Life Skills room that she and many others have worked so hard to complete.

With three new teachers in the building, you are bound to run into a few or all of them in the halls. All three feel they are as prepared as they can be, as Mrs. Poe puts it, “You never know what to expect until it is happening.” Mrs. Junge, Mrs Keeney, and Mrs. Poe are easy to talk to, interesting, make excellent teachers, and are excited for their first year here at Marion High School.

Mrs. Poe a new Special Ed. teacher at MHS.
Mrs. Junge poses proudly in her new classroom.
Ms. Junge poses proudly in her new classroom.
Mrs. Keeney gets ready for her first week of school.