A Junior’s passion for volleyball

By: Catie Staff [Vox Executive Editor]

This year’s volleyball team is all about using personal strengths for the team’s best interest. JV player Mickenzie Kack, junior, is looking forward to the game tonight against Center Point Urbana. She is focusing on breaking personal records and trusting her coaches to put her where the team needs her most.

Coach Phillips, the JV coach, expects hard work from all of the players. “I think our coaches prepare us well for the upcoming team’s strength based on who we’re playing,” she said. Practices keep the team in shape for every game.

Mickenzie enjoys the practices every day and doesn’t get overwhelmed. “I like how long the practices are, because it always makes time for more drills. At the end we don’t always have time for scrimmaging, and I love scrimmaging.” She makes time for extra-curricular practices to “pepper” with her neighbor. Peppering is like bump-setting and spiking.

No matter what the outcome of every game, Mickenzie still aims for her personal best. “I’m looking forward to [the game]. Volleyball has been my passion for all my life and it’s fun putting what you know into something bigger.” She always aims high and continues to improve.

Mickenzie watched the Olympic volleyball this summer and she was impressed by the speed of the female players. It makes her work toward the next level here at Marion. “I want to dress varsity,” she said, “I think that would be really cool!” With her determination and passion for volleyball, there’s nothing standing in the way of Mickenzie’s dreams.

Mickenzie Kack is on the JV volleyball team.