Jazz choir comes to an end

By: Nicole Matheny, Yearbook editor

She’s lined up, ready to enter the gym and her excitement is overpowering her nerves. In just a few minutes all of her practice would pay off. The crowd would roar and she would immediately be grinning from ear to ear. This was her last performance as a member of Marion’s Jazz Choir and the moment couldn’t be anymore bittersweet.

Avery Thomason, senior, has been singing for the high school’s jazz band for two years now. “I joined because I’m really passionate about music, and love jazz,” Avery explains. Of the many, many activities she is involved in jazz choir is easily her favorite and a lot of that has to do with the members. “We’re all extremely close and I’m really going to miss everyone after it’s over,” says Avery sincerely. Instead of dwelling on it being over, she’s looking at this performance positively. Avery is very confident in the team’s performances at practices so far. “I’m really excited for Monday because we’re pretty good,” Avery says.

Even after all of the early, seven a.m. practices and hectic performances, the jazz choir is all ready to end this season off with a bang on Monday, April 11. While most of her grinning colleagues exit the gym, excited for next year, Avery plans on leaving with not only a huge smile on her face but plenty of memories and friendships to last a lifetime.