Do the rewards outweigh the risks?

By: Jordan Hansen, Opinion Editor

Running down the field, up the court, or around the pitch. Slamming the ball in the hoop, spiking it over a net, or catching it as it arcs toward you. This, to many people, is what high school sports are all about. The thrill, the fun, nothing can compare to it.

Sports are unquestionably fun, but as with anything, there is a darker side. Injuries in sports are not uncommon whatsoever. At some point almost every athlete will be injured, whether it be in practice or in a game. In fact, according to the Center for Disease Control (CDC) more than 2 MILLION out of the 7.2 million high school athletes will be injured to some degree every year. Of those two million, over 500,000 will have to visit the doctor. Even though most of these injuries are not significant enough to warrant a doctors visit, they must still be treated seriously and with good care.

Dangerous as they can be, student-athletes should not stop playing them. The equipment that we have here is high quality and much of it is new or has been bought in the last several years. However, even with nice equipment student-athletes can still become injured on accident by not using the proper technique or form. Interestingly enough, according to lovetoknow.com, cheerleading (If considered a sport) is the most dangerous sport for females, with over 25,000 injuries reported last year. Cheerleading is also not considered a sport by many states, and therefore they do not have to follow safety regulations.

Football is a dangerous sport, no escaping this fact. The players know the risk of playing it, and the coaches know what to look for in the case of an injured player. Shockingly though, according to the Missourian, when compared to cheerleading, football is actually less dangerous.

Although dangerous, sports are one of the best things to be involved in. They promote leadership, physical fitness, create friendships, and show how teamwork is one of the keys to success. The benefits that sports bring to a person outweigh the risks of participating in them. It is just important for everyone to use caution and play smart.

The lights, the cameras flashing, the fans cheering, these are what every athlete wants. High school is a time of trying to find yourself, and even though risky, sports can often be one of the best decisions that you make.