Valentine’s Day

By: Nicole Matheny, Yearbook Editor

It’s all you’ve been hearing about lately, from commercials to conversations in the lunchroom. It’s the holiday that is great for some, but a ridiculous reminder for others. Valentine’s Day is upon us and it’s officially annoying.

Almost just as pointless as Halloween, Valentine’s Day seems like a sales pitch for chocolates, flowers, and jewelry. Don’t get me wrong, I mean I don’t hate the idea of being showered in those items, but the concept just seems kind of ridiculous. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to show somebody how much you care for them, but having to designate a day and putting pressure on one another to spend, spend, spend is what’s wrong. If you need to be reminded that you should show your other half that you love them, or if you feel that someone needs to buy you diamonds and overpriced flowers if they love you, then you should probably not be in that relationship. Easy as that.

Valentine’s Day needs to be a day where you tell each other how you feel and embrace your relationship, not one another. February 14th shouldn’t be a day to empty your wallets, it’s just another day that you are happy with who you’re with, and to tell that person those things just a few times more than the day before.