Winter Wonderland

By: Abi Washburn, Staff Writer

She is rudely awakened by the beep, beep, beep, of the alarm as she trudges downstairs and turns on the news in hopes of a snow day. She looks at the screen and sees Linn-mar, Lisbon, Maquoketa, and then finally Marion, she is filled with happiness as she yells out, “no school today!,” as she runs back up to bed for a few more hours of sleep.

Shelby Cairy, freshman at Marion High School loves snow days. “My favorite thing to do when there is no school is to run around the town,” Shelby says with a smile on her face. Shelby loves to hang out with her friends, and although winter isn’t her favorite season she makes the best of it.

“I don’t like winter, it is too cold.” Shelby recently moved here from Florida and prefers the warmer weather. Though she likes the warm weather she loves to play in the snow. She likes that you can make it into objects.

“I love sledding most of all,” She like the feeling of going down a hill fast and the fear that she might run into something. Shelby also likes to just play in the snow and make things with it, along with ice-skating and snowball fights.

Although winter may not be the most fun season for some, Shelby proves there are things to do at anytime of the year, winter included. With a little creativity and a lot of optimism, there are always fun things to do.

The day is coming to an end and even though she knows the day will have to be made up at the end of the school year she doesn’t regret it a bit. She climbs back in bed for the night and hopes tomorrow will be as eventful as today.