Are heavy coats a must?

By: Kaitlyn Nathem, Staff Writer

The snow is racing quickly to the ground as students are walking to their cars. It’s below freezing outside and the wind is blowing the snow around. Most students don’t spend their time standing outside during the school hours. They usually go from their house to their car, and from their car into the school. So is there a point of wearing a coat when they’re just walking outside for a total of three minutes? Some students believe that there is, while other students think that it’s just a waste of locker space to keep their jackets stored inside.

Parents gripe at kids for not wearing the proper “winter clothing” when they leave the house with just sweatshirts on. It’s pointless to bundle up to the point of sweating when you’re only going to be walking outside for minor minutes. Lockers are also small enough as it is; there is no more room for students to keep their jackets all bunched up inside. If students have a sweatshirt on that keeps them warm, then that should be good enough for parents.

It’s understandable that kids need to wear heavy winter coats when the weather is bad and they’re going on far away drives, just in case of emergencies or accidents. Is it all that necessary to wear puffy, heavy coats just to drive to school though? Most students have cell phones, so if an accident occurred and their car was unable to keep them warm, it would be extremely easy to just call a friend or a parent and have them pick you up in less than five minutes.

Coats are always warm and a good thing to have, but when students are just driving to and from school its not a necessity. Parents need to stop yelling at kids about wearing the heaviest coat when it’s only going to be on them for about ten minutes at the most.