Closer care

This new department is currently under construction and should be opened mid to late November this year.

As the population of Marion continues to grow, many more places become needed for the city. One of these additions includes a new MercyCare emergency department being developed. This is going to be located on 35th St. next to the already existing MercyCare clinic and is expected to open mid to late November this year. Along with this, there is an additional ER coming to the city, and both are going to be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. With these being available for the expanding community, people will be able to get the care they need when they need it.

There are numerous advantages to having an emergency department right in town. Emily Palmer, school nurse, said, “Having options such as Cedar Rapids, Hiawatha, and now Marion… will give the community access to help closest to them at any given time.” Having access to emergency services is crucial when dealing with medical situations when one may not have much time to spare. The new site will be fully equipped with radiology, lab services, a heliport for helicopter landings, and 14 exam rooms including two trauma rooms. This will be able to help many patients from around Marion and places nearby. Karen VanderSanden, public relations specialist, said, “Highways 151 and 13 provide easy access for people who live in communities such as Mount Vernon, Springville, Central City, and Anamosa.” Along with the benefits of the location, simply having an ER nearby can give reassurance to people in the community.

The rendering of the completed emergency department looks like a very nice and modern place that will provide excellent care.

Even if one hasn’t experienced a health emergency, they never know when one might occur to them or someone they know. Palmer said, “While I hope our students and athletes will not need an emergency room, I am thankful we will have one so close by. It makes me feel reassured and gives me some peace of mind that help is so close by.” Even though there is already an urgent care here, there are certain times when they aren’t able to help with everything that may be going on which is where the ER becomes very useful. VanderSanden said, “Patients requiring additional hospital intervention will be transferred free of charge to Mercy’s downtown location in partnership with local ambulance services.” So if the emergency room is also not enough, there is another option for patients that ensures the best help in an emergency. 

The second ER coming to Marion, developed by UnityPoint St. Luke’s Hospital, should be opening this summer, which will provide another place in the community that will give great care to everyone in need. Both of these locations will help with congestion at the hospitals and will be fully stocked to give patients the best service possible. Having both of these locations is great for assisting those in need of care without having to drive a long distance when time is crucial.

There are many instances when one may need medical help, and having places nearby that can offer that help gives reassurance for whenever one may need it. As Marion is expanding, it is important to add accommodations that will further improve the community. One of those accommodations includes the addition of both of these emergency rooms, which will prove to be very beneficial for those around.