Elle Lindaman

To teach efficiently, coaches should deeply understand the sport from fundamental skills to advanced strategy and tactics. A coach should know as much about the sport as possible; their knowledge of the sport is the most important factor in their success. Their motivation should reach an individual as well as the entire team. They should also be able to grow a special bond with the players. Athletes need to focus on improving their performance, skills, and respect for coaches and teammates. 

Ryley Robinson, science teacher, is a coach for Boy’s Tennis and Vernon Middle School Girls Wrestling. In high school, Robinson participated in the swim team, tennis, and baseball. Robinson said, “To be a good coach, you need to be passionate about your sport and the kids on your team.” 

Robinson also said, “It is a good factor if you have playing experience when coaching because you can remember being in that position and can help in that way so that you can teach your experience to them, but that does not automatically translate you into coaching.” Robinson had an amazing swim instructor and wanted to give athletes the best opportunities he could give, as his coach gave him. Many believe Robinson is an excellent example of a great teacher and coach. He has the experience, passion, and enjoys engaging with the kids.

Mike Manderscheid, activities director, said,

“Coach experience to me is playing the sport, and being invested in some level of coaching knowledge or experience. The ability to improve their knowledge and how you interact with kids.”

A good coach to Manderscheid has to be a good person, have integrity, a quality work ethic, and put themselves ahead of others. A common question asked among students is why the school hires teachers instead of coaches outside the district. Manderscheid said, “Teachers spend four years learning how to teach in college, and coaching is teaching, so your better teachers tend to be better coaches because they know how to teach.” The school can hire outside the district but when it has good teachers, there is no reason to. 

Anyone from in or out of the school district, teachers, and non-teachers can apply, thus beginning the hiring process. This leads to a background check and more importantly, an evaluation to determine if they are a good person. If one played a sport in high school or college, it can assist when being a coach because of the experience and having the ability to relate to the athletes. This can build empathy as much as an understanding of the players.

Ultimately, athletes want a coach who is experienced. The passion and effort the coaches bring to the players and game make it worth their time and make the athletes feel worthy of themselves. They must constantly be working on ways to be better. The confidence they bring to the athletes is crucial, which will help the athletes keep the love they have for the sports they play. The coach’s passion for the sport will push athletes to continue to grow both athletically and mentally.