A world of pure imagination: “Wonka”

%E2%80%9CWonka%E2%80%9D+ended+2023+at+number+one+at+the+box+office+providing+a+fresh+take+and+plenty+of+nostalgia+for+moviegoers.+
“Wonka” ended 2023 at number one at the box office providing a fresh take and plenty of nostalgia for moviegoers.

The third and newest iteration of “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory” has now been released in theaters. The film, “Wonka,” starring Timothée Chalamet, was released December 15, 2023, and was one of 2023’s most highly anticipated releases since its announcement in 2021. There were many speculations by fans including whether the movie would follow the same storylines as the past ones or go on a different path. The movie was directed by Paul King who had previously directed the first two Paddington movies that were a big hit. 

The film features a young Willy Wonka origin story. It follows Wonka’s life as a child and teenager. In 2021, it was announced that Chalamet was going to be the face of Wonka in the brand-new movie. Many mistook the movie as a sequel to the other Willy Wonka movies, though that is not what it was. The film takes viewers through the life of Wonka before his famous chocolate factory. In the previous two movies, children hunt for the special golden ticket that will allow them access to the chocolate factory run by Willy Wonka. Flashbacks are shown through these previous movies, so we get a small feel for his childhood, but that is what “Wonka” is for, to tell the full story. Though, did this movie do a nice job showing his life before fame?  

“Wonka,”  just like the previous movies, is very whimsical and fun. It is a great movie for a family movie night. Wonka’s wacky and funky personality shows as the movie unfolds. The film has lots of singing and still has that musical feel like the other movies had. Fans were incredibly happy that they kept it like the classics. There are six songs that Chalamet sings throughout the movie including: “A Hatful of Dreams,” “You Have Never had Chocolate Like This,” “For a Moment,” “A World of Your Own,” “Sorry Noodle,” and “Pure Imagination.” The song “Pure Imagination” was in the original Willy Wonka film, and fans were incredibly pleased with its reappearance.  

The film is supposed to follow Wonka through his first-ever chocolate factory and show how it all started, and though the movie does do that, it could have been portrayed better. Fans are even saying the previous movie, “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,” starring Johnny Depp, showed his childhood more clearly and how everything came together. It shows how Wonka became the man he is and gives him the spotlight to be recognized. Many were big fans of the other movies and were excited to see the new one. 

So, did this movie do a wonderful job of showing his childhood before fame? It did a respectable job in certain respects. The side everyone knows of Wonka is very recognizable in the film, and it has a familiar feel to it. However, I do think it could have gone into greater detail about how he became who he is. This film was one of 2023’s most anticipated movies, and I do think it delivered nicely. Everyone knows the iconic films from the past, and it is nice to have another one to connect them all.