March 26, 2024
Some students have different life ambitions, and graduating early is a great option for some.
Premature diploma
March 26, 2024
A student listens to music with her headphones before class.
Blast from the past
March 26, 2024

Here comes the Marion Sun

The+Marion+Sun%E2%80%99s+revamped+and+improved+newspaper+provides+the+city+with+a+new+outlook+on+what%E2%80%99s+happening+in+the+community.+
The Marion Sun’s revamped and improved newspaper provides the city with a new outlook on what’s happening in the community.

Somewhere in a small town called Marion, with a population of 41,000 people, The Marion Sun emerged as a beacon of the new, hit community news. Several years ago, The Marion Times folded, but Christopher Sherman found a new shining piece of hope to keep the journalism aspect alive. Soon enough, The Marion Sun became a reliable source of news for residents of the town. 

Christopher Sherman, editor and publisher of The Marion Sun, has a long history in journalism and entrepreneurship spanning over three decades. He first started by writing a weekly print newsletter in 1992, followed by the launch of Multimedia Wire and AustinXL. In 2007, he jumped into the realm of virtual worlds and metaverse news. The Marion Sun was born out of Sherman’s desire for local news and his conversations with community members who shared a similar interest. Sherman has multiple roles as the founder, dealing with reporting, website management, marketing, design, sales, accounting, and even product management. Sherman isn’t the only one doing all the work; there are two full-time members of the Marion Sun and many volunteers, or, as Sherman devotedly calls them, “Champions.” They all do essential work that contributes to the paper equally. 

The Marion Sun focuses on sending out a well-rounded publication serving the many interests of the community. The content spans business news, city updates, community events, school happenings, and, occasionally, county news. The team relies on advanced analytics to advance the popularity of stories, ensuring a lively and engaging reading experience for everyone. Sherman said, “Deadlines can change when sources don’t respond as rapidly as one would like.” Dependability is essential in journalism, and it’s important to recognize as a reader that the timely delivery of news relies on the cooperation and responsiveness of other people/parties. Deadlines are a vital aspect of being a journalist. His work also varies daily depending on what information he can pull from external sources. Sherman said, “We’ve published 10 stories, I think, in one day, but most of the time it’s not nearly that many. Today, 11/15/2023, I’ve published four stories so far.”

Having been a journalist for a significant part of his career, Sherman emphasizes the importance of trust and reputation in journalism. In an era of overpowered information, building a solid relationship with the audience is the main key. Sherman encourages aspiring journalists to understand the value of trust and maintain a commitment to delivering correct and reliable information. The dedication to accuracy and accountability is not just a professional obligation, it is a crucial part of it all. Sherman’s advice serves as a reminder that journalists are not just storytellers but “champions” of truth. Aspiring journalists are encouraged to approach their work with a sense of responsibility and understand that the information they spread can shape public opinion and influence societal perception.

The Marion Sun, under the guidance of Sherman, stands as a tribute to the world of journalism. Sherman’s journey from Multimedia Week to The Marion Sun is marked by a commitment to community, a passion for news, and a relentless pursuit of providing valuable information. As The Marion Sun continues to illuminate the town, it embodies the community, collaboration, and a shared love for the stories that make a place truly home.