March 26, 2024
Some students have different life ambitions, and graduating early is a great option for some.
Premature diploma
March 26, 2024
A student listens to music with her headphones before class.
Blast from the past
March 26, 2024

Smith’s successful sequel: The Way I Am Now

TW: Sexual assault
This sought-after sequel shows Eden McCrorey’s journey recovering from trauma.

Amber Smith, a compelling voice in modern writing, takes readers on an emotional journey in her highly anticipated sequel to the New York Times bestseller, “The Way I Used to Be.” In this touching narrative titled “The Way I Am Now,” Smith explores the complexities of love and resilience after trauma, diving into the challenges faced by two characters, Eden and Josh. Both books cover many hard topics like alcohol abuse, drugs, sexual assault, etc. 

The novel opens with Eden and Josh deciding to give their relationship another chance, setting the stage for a story that grapples with the aftermath of trauma and the hope of healing after both characters went through a lot in the previous book. As high school sweethearts, Eden and Josh’s initial relationship was spoiled by personal struggles that prevented the deep connection they wanted. Unknown to Josh, Eden carried the weight of a devastating trauma–sexual assault. While Josh grappled with the challenges of having an alcoholic father, he had no idea of Eden’s struggles. The story unfolds against the backdrop of a crucial moment in Eden’s life—months after she and two other courageous girls publicly accused their rapist. As Eden begins her college journey, the trial looms large, threatening to disrupt any real amount of “normal” for her. It is within those intense times that Eden and Josh find themselves reconnecting, finally having an opportunity to rekindle their love under supposedly more favorable circumstances.

Smith navigates the difficulties of trauma, illustrating the impact that past experiences (that are very heavy) can have on present times. Eden’s character becomes a symbol of strength as she faces the challenges of college life while simultaneously navigating the emotionally challenging trial. The author intertwines the personal struggles of the protagonists into a broader narrative that addresses the harsh realities of seeking justice in the aftermath of sexual assault. The big question of the novel revolves around the strength of Eden and Josh’s love and its capacity to deal with the trials of college life and the demands of justice. As readers become submerged in the characters’ lives, one is invited to reflect on the enduring nature of love, the complexities of healing, and the strength required to move forward after trauma.

“The Way I Am Now” is not merely a love story; it is a powerful tale of someone’s limit to overcome troubles. Through her characters, Smith invites readers to witness the transformative journey of healing and the pursuit of justice, leaving an unforgettable mark on their hearts. Smith’s writing is a touching and thought-provoking sequel that continues to explore the profound impact of trauma on relationships. With great storytelling and a sensitive understanding of human experiences, Smith created a narrative that is as compelling as it is heart-wrenching, leaving readers with a profound appreciation for the strength of one person.