Teenage perception of love

Teenagers can have a hard time attempting to find love, but it’s anywhere and everywhere if one is open to accept it.

What does it mean to feel loved? Whether someone is young or old, rich or poor, happy or sad, almost everyone has experienced love at some point in their lives. Although it can be hard to see, especially in high school, love can be found in every aspect of someone’s existence. It can be found in family and friends, the music they enjoy and the sports they play, and even more, love can be found inside oneself. 

As high schoolers, many students are on the cusp of wanting to get out of their parents’ homes, ditch high school, start their own lives, and, at the same time, shrink back down to an eight-year-old where nothing is too permanent. Because of this, feeling loved can come as a struggle for many, so the support felt can be a huge relief. Seth Keen, freshman, said his friends are one of the things that make him feel loved the most. “They can always make me laugh and they are always there when I need them,” said Keen. Peers can help people to feel like they’re not alone. They can be some of the only people who truly understand and recognize what someone is going through. “I feel the most loved when my friends are there for me and care about what I have to say,” Keen said. Having someone who is present and listens to whatever is desired is crucial to the mental health of all ages. That’s why close companions who will listen and be there are so important to teenagers. 

Love isn’t always right in front of people’s faces, but it isn’t always hidden either. When asked about love, the obvious answers are family, friends, hobbies, and convictions that are important to someone, but love can also be found in the mundane, everyday moments. Lynnsey Williamson, senior, said, “Once you fall in love with every single thing that you always do, instead of just hating this one thing, you realize that the fact that you are alive is love.” Life has its ups and downs, but love can be found in even the darkest times. “Love can be everywhere! It’s in every single place,” said Williamson. 

So, what does it really mean to feel loved? From freshman to senior year, students have agreed that love is presence. Having someone just be there for them. A companion or family member who is a supporter of whatever they enjoy. Love is also all around. It’s in the celebratory yells during a high school sports game, the melodies that are heard from the music wing, and the people who participate in the clubs around the building. Love can be found all throughout the school, it’s just up to the individual to find it.