Sleeping problems

By: Abi Washburn, Staff Writer

Many teens today are falling asleep in class, arriving late to school, and forgetting their homework because of a lack of sleep. This is a growing problem with teens today; the National Sleep Foundation says only twenty percent of adolescents (age’s eleven through seventeen) are getting their recommended amount of sleep on weekdays.

Sleep is a very vital part to everyday life. It is as important as the food you eat, the air you breath, and the water you drink. So why is it a typical teenager doesn’t get their full nine hours of sleep? It is because of having too busy of a schedule with school, sports, homework, and friends it feels as if there is no time to just sit down and relax, but giving up sleep is not worth it. Getting your recommended amount of sleep is crucial to your brain’s health; without your full nine hours it can limit your ability to focus, listen, and learn.

Solving this problem can be a challenge but the benefits of getting the full nine hours of sleep almost always outweighs the cons. Some solutions to this problem are taking naps, making a list of the things you need to do, avoiding the television and computer, and not procrastinating on homework.