Who’s saving who?

Emma Hartman @Steal_Your_Hart [Staff Writer]

Dogs are a man’s (and woman’s) best friend. Dogs are loyal, compassionate, protective, and they will love their owner no matter what. They show us the true qualities of a best friend. Isn’t it time we return the favor?

By adopting a dog from a local shelter, you are helping save just one of millions of dogs abandoned each year.

According to ASPCA.org (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals), out of the 3.9 million dogs that enter shelters in the United States, about 1.2 million will be put down.

While some of these dogs have uncontrollable aggressive tendencies due their upbringing, most of these dogs have been discarded because their owner no longer cares for them.

Only 649,000 animals go stray each year, and of that 542,000 dogs are returned to their masters. It is easy to tell from the statics that a majority of dogs in animals shelters are there simply because they were unwanted.

Shelters struggle to adopt dogs out because most of them are not puppies anymore. Little do people know, the puppy they buy will most likely come from a puppy mill. Buying from puppy mills supports the abuse, neglect, and danger that a selfish breeder inflicts upon a puppy.

It is perfectly reasonable to desire a puppy more than an older dog, naturally puppies live longer and have more energy. But adopting a dog of an older age can still be quite the fun adventure! The dog will be so happy to have keeper to call their own, they will make up for lack of youth with spirit and devotion.

Adopting a dog from a shelter truly saves their life. The overpopulation of dogs in shelters makes it hard to give each individual the love and care they deserve. By adopting a dog, you can make the difference in their life, and they in yours.

Dogs aren't the only animals one can save from a shelter, many places also have cats as well
Dogs aren’t the only animals one can save from a shelter, many places also have cats as well