Why the ban on grinding is necessary

By: Gage Miskimen @GageMisky

Prom is coming up within the next month and the issue on the grinding ban is still relevant. For those that don’t understand what grinding is, grinding is a form of dance (sort of) where the woman puts her behind against a man’s front and proceeds to rub and sway back and forth to the rhythm of the song being played.

At one time, grinding seemed okay. It was innocent and everyone was doing it, right? But realistically that’s one of the reasons people did it: because everyone was doing it. That’s an ignorant reason to do anything and another quote that is common from people who grind at dances is, “What else is there to do?” This question alone exposes the ignorance and prehistoric feel that grinding brings to the dance floor.

Another good point brought up with this issue is that teachers and staff wouldn’t allow anything as sexual as grinding during the normal school day, so why would they let us commence in grinding a few hours after the bell rings? A teacher wouldn’t sit and watch if two students just decided to spontaneously grind during lunch, so one couldn’t expect them to be okay with it just because the lights are off and the music is blasting.

If a couple was being filmed while grinding and had to watch it later they would feel uncomfortable. Now, if a couple was being filmed while grinding and had to watch it with their families, this would be outrageously awkward and would make family reunions a bad time.

Now is grinding offensive? No. It’s not actually a sexual act though it is sexual in nature. Nobody is getting hurt. It’s not as outrageous as some people make it to be, but when one really thinks about it, it is extremely weird and it does not really belong in a high school setting where 18-year-olds mix with 14-year-olds. So the ban on grinding, though it may seem unfair to some, is kind of necessary.

A group of students at Marion's Prom last year grind together, a dance move that will not be allowed this year.
A group of students at Marion’s Prom last April grind together, a dance move that will not be allowed this year.
View Comments (1)