Pressure too high for grades

Amery Bruce @amerybruce [Staff Writer]

It seems that in today’s educational system, people are much more focused on getting their work done and keeping their grade up, instead of actually learning the material. Way too often do students just quickly copy a friends homework assignment, because they know that the friend did it way better than they could’ve. The emphasis on grades in school today is way too high, and needs to be changed.

It’s hard for a student to start focusing on understanding the material they have been giving instead of how high their percentage is, when there is so much pressure on having high grades. Students are basically told that if they have any lower than maybe a B, then they are failing in their duty of a student, and that isn’t fair.

Kids learn at different rates, and some process things better and quicker than others. A student who had a C in one class can’t be compared to another student who has an A in the same class. Maybe the subject isn’t the first students forte, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t trying. They could have an A in another class, that the second student isn’t doing so hot in. Clearly they have different strengths, and it isn’t right to pit them against each other in a race of Who Has The Higher Grade.

All students are different, and not all can get an A in every class. Just because someone isn’t excelling doesn’t mean they aren’t doing their best. If everyone could take the pressure off having high grades, and put it on actually understanding the lesson, then maybe students could realize that just because they don’t have an accumulative GPA of 4.0, they still have the ability to do well in the world.

Students should focus more on the long term effect of the work rather than their grade