March 26, 2024
Some students have different life ambitions, and graduating early is a great option for some.
Premature diploma
March 26, 2024
A student listens to music with her headphones before class.
Blast from the past
March 26, 2024

The privilege of leaving for lunch

Noah Walter @Tyrannoahsaurus [Staff Writer]

A license, a car, and money, some students at MHS have all of these things and still can’t leave for lunch. By junior year most of the students have a license, so they can legally go out and get food. However, school rules say otherwise, they cannot leave and must stay at school for lunch. Even though the school may think that juniors are not mature enough to leave, students already leave now for open blocks and they may need a less expensive healthy meal.

Juniors can already leave for open blocks, fact. Junior year, students are allowed to have one open block, another fact. An open block is having no class for that hour and a half. During that period of time teachers trust them enough that they can leave, yet at lunch the trust in the junior class is gone. The fact that its at lunch hour can really make a difference I guess. The school needs to trust students to leave for lunch in order for them to get a healthy and less expensive lunch.

There is no such thing as a fresh food high school cafeteria. Most students would prefer real food, rather than this frozen and microwaved stuff they serve us on a plastic plate. Also, a student paying close to four dollars for four chicken nuggets or one small undercooked hot dog and occasionally a side of undercooked sweet potato fries or a tri tater. Thats absolutely outrageous, who is going to be full after eating that? Juniors need to leave for a more healthy and cost effective lunch, even though the school may think juniors won’t come back.

Athletes need more calories than the average student at MHS. In order for an athlete to maintain their weight, they must consume as many calories as they burn. After school at practice the athlete will be sweating through their shirts and have an aching body after all of the hard work they have completed. Imagine doing all of this on an empty stomach. Athletes need the energy from food to drive them through their practice and maintain their weight.

Apparently the school feels that juniors are more likely to leave school and not come back during lunch than seniors are. Seniors leave and come back. Juniors leave for open blocks and come back. Why does one year of schooling make such a difference in leaving the school for lunch?

In order for students to have a less expensive lunch and a healthy one, they should be allowed to leave for lunch. In order for this to happen juniors should show up to the next school board meeting and support the idea.

The school's chicken wraps are sometimes deemed gross by students
The school’s chicken wraps are sometimes deemed gross by students