Too many snow days

DeLaney Fisher @DeLaney__Fisher [Co Executive Newspaper Editor]

It’s the first week back from the two week winter break, and already we have our first cancellation due to weather! With temperatures predicted to reach below 0 degrees which only feels colder with the wind chill. Most students are happy about snow days, but some are put off by assignments given out to make up for the day of lost class time.

It is understandable if a teacher were to assign a worksheet if time in the quarter is winding down, but an assignment to make up for missing the third day in the quarter is a little over the top. Most students would not enjoy doing assignments, and would probably complain a lot before actually starting the project, but eventually they would finish the assignment. Throughout the entire assignment they would most likely be thinking how unreasonable it is that they have to complete worksheet when school isn’t even in session. Teachers should enjoy the day off from school and allow their students to do the same.

As students we understand that there is only so much time allotted for each quarter, and that there is set curriculum that the teacher must get through before that time is over. Just because we miss one day of school doesn’t mean that the teacher should give an assignment. Also, a teacher shouldn’t give out assignments just because there is no school. It is much more understandable if the assignment is warranted and the teacher has a legitimate reason to give said assignment.

Teachers know how much time they have to get through their curriculum, and should do what is necessary to get through it, and as students we understand that they will do that. It is up to all of us to work together to get through the material required in each class, preferably without make up assignments for no school days.

A weather forecast showing similarly low temperatures