Hannah Andreasen, senior, marvels over her flower sale in the spring musical, My Fair Lady.
Spring Photography

Student eating rights

Kylie McAllister @smileeyyykylie [Co Executive Yearbook Editor]

One of the most important accomplishments a student can achieve in high school is learning how to be indepent. From the moment we are born, we count on our parents to make decisions for us, take care of us, and guide us along the right path. In high school, we are meant to break away and learn for ourselves how to make these important decisions. One of these choices is deciding what we put into our bodies.

Today, the assortment of food at lunch is disappointing. As students, we don’t have many choices regarding the meal. We are forced to eat things that are, although sometimes good, very small proportions, and only healthy. Being young adults, at the peak of our metabolism, we should be able to, in reason, choose what we eat. There shouldn’t only be healthy food or only junk foods, but rather a happy medium of both. Students would be more satisfied by the variety that they would get to chose from.

As high schoolers, we are making important decisions that will affect the rest of our lives, such as choosing a career and a plan for after high school, yet we are still being forced to eat things that we have no say in. If a students wants to eat some ice cream they should be able to do this. If we are old enough to drive and make decisions regarding our future we should be smart enough to make decisions regarding our health. We are old enough to make these decisions, and adults should respect that.

When high schoolers are properly educated about nutrition AND given the opportunity to choose, maybe they'd choose wisely
When high schoolers are properly educated about nutrition AND given the opportunity to choose, maybe they’d choose wisely
View Comments (1)