College football controversy?

Gage Miskimen @GageMisky [Co Executive Newspaper Editor]

Yesterday the college football playoff bracket was announced. This year, four teams made the cut: Ohio State, Alabama, Oregon, and Florida State. Of course, with all things sports, controversy follows. Some are upset that Baylor and TCU didn’t get in. Some say it’s because the Big 12 conference doesn’t have a championship game and that’s why no Big 12 teams didn’t get in.

But look in this perspective. The Big Ten is a harder conference overall than the Big 12. Ohio State faced a tough schedule and demolished ranked Wisconsin in the championship game. This earns them their spot for sure.

Florida State is only undefeated because of their joke of a conference, the ACC. They barely play anybody and Famous Jameis is overrated as a quarterback and is a higher risk NFL draft choice than Johnny Manziel. Do they deserve the playoff spot? Maybe. They are the defending champs from last year. But they really haven’t done anything all year with their easy schedule. If they deserve a spot, then so do the almost-undefeated Marshall Thundering Herd. They will not be back to back champs. That’s a promise.

It’s no surprise that the Alabama dynasty made the inaugural college playoffs. They’ve never been a bad team and they play well as a unit. They are still a vital threat for years to come with great recruiting. All the top high school players want to wear the Crimson Tide uniform.

Speaking of uniforms and a team that has many, the Oregon Ducks are looking like champions this year. It can be argued that this is thanks to the top Heisman candidate, Marcus Mariota. They play Florida State in the first round of the playoffs and will most likely fall to the mighty ducks. (No pun intended). Oregon is a unit to be reckoned with and gave Arizona a beating last week. Arizona was the only team that beat Oregon in the regular season and Oregon got their vengeance.

Some people want the playoffs to include 8 teams. That seems like a great idea. Some say that that’s too much for student athletes to partake in. But it would make more sense and allow more teams a chance for a championship and the majority of student athletes definitely want that chance so why not? More football also means more money so everybody wins.

Jeremiah Masoli, quarterback for the Oregon Duck's, gets ready to pass the ball
Jeremiah Masoli, quarterback for the Oregon Duck’s, gets ready to pass the ball
View Comments (1)