Cell phones too early on

Amery Bruce @AmeryBruce [Staff Writer]

Cell phones are showing up in younger ages every year. It used to be that a kid had to beg their parents for a phone when they were in the sixth grade, but now its likely that a student has a cell phone in third grade. Cell phones are a part of our daily lives, but is it necessary for a seven or eight year old to have one?

Younger children really have no use for a cell phone. The main thing they would be used for is to have parents be able to check in on their kids. However, when they are seven, there really isn’t a lot to check in about. The child is usually either at school, where they are perfectly safe, or with another guardian who always has a phone on him/her.

Another thing cell phones are used for is social media, which a young child doesn’t need anyway. They will just spend their time posting odd things on Instagram that they will deeply regret in future years. Allowing kids to start on social media at an early age can make them more prone to use it in a negative way, so they don’t need them for that reason either.

Children shouldn’t be getting phones at the age of seven, when they really have no use for a phone. Cell phones play a huge part in society today, but for kids who have them for a purpose. Kids don’t need a cell phone at too young of an age.

View Comments (1)