Hannah Andreasen, senior, marvels over her flower sale in the spring musical, My Fair Lady.
Spring Photography

Baggy problems

Kasi Rupert @kasibellerupert [Staff Writer]

A student strolls peacefully through the empty hallway when, suddenly, the bell assaults her ears. Other peers zoom out of their classes and quickly organize themselves into two-directional lanes. The student, clutching books to her chest, is always worried about getting in the way of traffic. Some others are lifting heavy loads that protrude about two feet from their backs, and don’t seem to give a care in the world. Yep, they’re all over the hallways nowadays, personified semi-trucks.

Large athletic backpacks are a fairly recent trend among teens. According to an article on health.usnews.com, most teens carry backpacks that exceed 10 to 15 percent of their body weight, which puts them at risk for many back disorders, such as scoliosis. If these backpacks were lighter, fewer chiropractor visits would be required for many teens. The spine is one of the most important bone systems we have, so it’s imperative to take care of it. Not only are the people that carry these monstrous bags putting themselves in danger, they are also pests to everyone around them.

When a person has something attached to them that takes up more space than they usually do, it’s only right to be aware of their surroundings. Unfortunately, this isn’t the case. People just walk around talking to their friends and swinging their too-large-backpack all over the place. There is no need for bystander injuries from careless backpack-swingers. But the backpacks aren’t just a problem in hallways, students bring them to class too.

The backpack rules are a very controversial topic in Marion High. Some teachers are fine with them, some forbid them, and some just don’t notice until they become a problem. But really, when did backpacks become okay to have in class? Students survived in middle school without them. It’s pretty irresponsible to have to carry your life with you everywhere you go. Five minutes of passing time is meant to be a blessing, not a curse. Taking two minutes to go grab a textbook out of a locker is not a crime. Backpacks belong in lockers, and if it doesn’t fit, it shouldn’t be used.

A students overly sized backpack
A students overly sized backpack
View Comments (1)