Hannah Andreasen, senior, marvels over her flower sale in the spring musical, My Fair Lady.
Spring Photography

Too tactless technology

Kayla Comried @KComried [Co Executive Yearbook Editor]

No matter the brand of phone, many students are constantly on social media

With each and every coming generation, more and more technology is being introduced. With more and more technology being introduced, the problems coming from these new things is also increasing. Social media is generally new to the world, and it could for sure be considered an amazingly good thing that keeps us connected to the world. It could also be considered dangerous. Our generation in specific constantly has Twitter feeds and Instagram pictures pulled up on our phones, and we shouldn’t.

With a screen constantly in our vision, how could we possibly see anything else? These LED screens are our main focus, and they keep getting bigger and bigger. We never pick our head up, and this could cause physical damage. It could also shelter us from things we need to be 100% exposed to, like nature. The world is beautiful, we just have to pull our eyes away from those screens and embrace it. Why be frequently caught up in things that make us sad, mad, stressed, and depressed if we could instead enjoy the beauty of the trees and the fresh air? These are all things we are missing out on because we have to see the newest update on the latest and greatest Twitter fight. These are all things we are missing out on because we have to be constantly updated on Instagram. If we could all pull our heads away from these things for 20 minutes each day and embrace the beauty of the world, we would be so much happier.

Besides the fact that the world is a glorious thing and we need to take the time to gaze at it, but being obsessed with our phones can also cause physical dangers. Being that addicted to an unnatural thing obviously can cause problems on our bodies, it can also take us into dangerous situations. According to healthline.com, more accidents occur from walking and texting than texting and driving. Think about it. If one is walking, flipping through the latest news, and not paying attention the list of things that could happen to them goes on and on. They could be blindsided by a predator, walk into traffic, trip over obvious obstacles, or possibly fall down stairs. Why would someone put themselves in this kind of danger?

The point is, put the phones down and enjoy the natural beauty of the world. Don’t give phones, a small electronic device, the power to bring stress. In today’s world we have enough things to stress about we don’t need to add to the list.