Pros and cons of Homecoming court

Kayla Comried @KComried [Co Executive Yearbook Editor]

The five boys and five girls voted on by the seniors will be announced on Thursday

This morning, the graduating class of 2015 voted for who they wish to be on the Homecoming court. As soon as the papers were turned in, the suspense began. Many people in the school are discussing who they think should be on it, and more often, who they think should not be on it. This tradition of picking five boys and five girls, although very humbling for the people on the court, should be revised.

This year, there are 153 students in the senior class, so why should only 6.5% of these students get to represent the class as a whole? Guaranteed most people on the court deserve to be on it, but surely more than ten people in each class have the qualities it takes to be on this court. More than ten people in every senior class have the respect, dignity, kindness, and involvement one must posses to be voted into this position. So, maybe there should be more available spots, and more positions to be voted into.

Walking through the halls, it is not hard to hear people saying who they think should not be one the court. It is the talk of the school, and truly the gossip. Both before and after the results are announced, people are trash talking others; saying why they shouldn’t have been voted for. Obviously someone had a reason for circling their name, so they shouldn’t be bombarded with rude comments. Each and every person has potential to be on this court, and not everyone likes everyone else. There are going to be people on the court that aren’t liked by everyone, but they still have good qualities. So, when discussing the court with friends, talk about the positives, not the negatives, of the people.

If everyone talked nice about the people on this “row of fame” maybe the titles of homecoming queen and king would not come with such drama. Maybe people would actually see these people as students of ultimate achievement, and they would be a role model for many younger kids . Talk nice about the people on the court, and for all readers not in twelfth grade, make sure to think about whose names are circled, and who the people are representing your class.