Bring attention back to Ferguson

Savannah Guyer @SavannahMGuyer [Feature Editor]

A woman protesting in Ferguson, Missouri

August 9th, 2014 marks the date of Michael Brown’s tragic death in the suburb of Ferguson, Missouri. News of the murder ricocheted around the nation and a spotlight was turned on the shocked community and the officer at fault, Darren Wilson. Many different reports circulated through media outlets, each source reaching for their own piece of the story. Now, a month and a week after the incident, all news about Ferguson has ceased practically altogether.

While a little pressure off of the place of controversy is good for the people who were directly affected by the catastrophe, there should always be some media attention on it at all times. This is necessary to make sure that what happened in Ferguson is never forgotten. The innocent death of Brown and the nearly consequentless actions of Wilson is something the nation cannot turn it’s back on now. This should not fall back into the shadows of other long forgotten racial incidents that have violently impacted and shaped a community while a country remains unchanged.

America needs this uproar of drama to remind its citizens just why Ferguson is so important to the ethical development of this country. The evocations that this sad occurrence brings should not go unjustified and unforgotten. It is our duty as Americans to keep improving our country to the best of our abilities, and forgetting Ferguson is not detrimental to our purpose. Michael Brown cannot be another Trayvon Martin. Darren Wilson cannot be another George Zimmerman. What Ferguson can teach us is something incomparable to what past incidents have inflicted on citizens if everyone would remember what happened a week, a month, a year from now, a deeper change may be in for this beloved country.